I only skimmed this, but it may be useful to you.  More so than my
explaination

http://www.science.uva.nl/ict/ossdocs/java/tutorial/ui/drawing/animLoop.html

It talks about an animation loop.  Appears to be java or js, but that's
close enough to AS to gleen something useful maybe.

Jon Molesa
Owner - Consoltec
336.844.4104
828.994.2067