Ok, I made some progress with the ./config build process in Ubuntu Dapper by
installing dev packages, but now the config script stops at:
 "
 checking for FREETYPE... configure: error: Package requirements (freetype2)
were not met:

 No package 'freetype2' found

 Alternatively, you may set the environment variables FREETYPE_CFLAGS
 and FREETYPE_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
 "I installed freetype2 using synaptic, but it is a dummy package.  According
to the synaptic package manager:

 "Dummy package for transition to libttf2
 This dummy package provides a transition from the previous FreeType 1
 package (freetype2 [sic]) to libttf2.  It may be safely removed once
 all the packages are re-built with correct dependency to libttf2."
Checking the output of pkg-config:

 pkg-config --cflags --libs freetype2returns
 Package freetype2 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
 Perhaps you should add the directory containing `freetype2.pc'
 No package 'freetype2' foundafter installation of the dummy package.

 Should I edit the environment variable in the config file to use libttf2? How
would that look?

 Thanks!
 Izak