To: <swfmill@osflash.org>
Sent: Monday, October 26, 2009 11:42 PM
Subject: Re: [swfmill] Embedding fonts in flash 8 IDE swf using swfmill

2009/10/26 Sumeet Kumar <sume...@sebiz.net>:
Hi All,

I am trying to dynamically create fonts using swfmill on the clients
machine. My flash 8 movie is getting embedded in VB, whenever i try to
create fonts using swfmill,using the following .xml

[...]

The font files get generated, and it works fine (in flash player)if loaded in my main .swf file. But as soon as i use it in my main.swf file embedded
in VB and try to load the fonts files, VB gets crashed.

I assume that you’re embedding Flash in a Visual Basic application
using the ActiveX Flash control. Either you’ve found a bug in the
ActiveX control, or you’ve found a bug in ActiveX itself, or you’ve
found a bug in Visual Basic, or there is an unrelated bug in your
application. It’s possible that swfmill is generating an invalid SWF
and that is triggering the crash but, per specification a SWF, no
matter how faulty, should never be able to crash the host application.

Most likely there is a bug in the Flash ActiveX plug-in. To check
this, load the problematic SWF in Internet Explorer. If that causes a
crash then that’s the problem. Try updating your Flash Player from
within IE and see if that solves the problem. If not, I suppose you
could report the problem to Adobe.

As far as I know this method of loading fonts from external SWFs has
never been officially supported, so it wouldn’t be surprising if this
technique sends the Flash Player down some dodgy code paths. I
personally wouldn’t rely on the Flash Player supporting this
functionality in the future. If possible you should use Flash 9 which
provides a different and much more reliable method.

Hope this helps,
Dan.