> On Dec 21, 2015, at 11:50 AM, Jordan Rose <jordan_r...@apple.com> wrote:
>
> If you replace a method on someone else's class, you don't actually know what
> semantics they're relying on. Of course Apple code will have bugs in it.
> Trying to patch over these bugs in your own code is (1) obviously not an
> answer Apple would support, but also (2) fraught with peril, and (3) likely
> to break in the next OS release.
>
> TLDR: It's already unsafe to do this with the existing set of Swift features.
> Yes, this makes things "worse", but it's not something we're interested in
> supporting anyway.

Presumably a goal for Swift is that application developers will use it to build
user-facing apps for Apple’s platforms. And presumably a goal for Apple is that
developers help promote Apple’s platforms by shipping apps that take advantage
of the new OS features when they ship. I fear that you and others dramatically
underestimate the difficultly of doing that. I acknowledge your three points.
But understand that we are professionals trying to serve our mutual customers.
Temporary hacks in the service of shipping is the nature of the business.

I don’t know how to make the case more strongly than I already have. This
thread makes me worry that the team does not understand what it’s like for
third party developers trying to serve our mutual customers.

Sincerely,

Curt