>> Btw: I wouldn't oppose a proposal to allow changing conventions like this
>> (there are at least two other discussions about the best default) on a per
>> module/file basis — as long as the "local" effect of the setting isn't
>> vital, there shouldn't be a problem with customizing.
> I would really be opposed to this.  It would not be clear when reading code
> what it actually means.  Copy and paste would also be problematic for similar
> reasons.  Flags should not change the semantics of a piece of code.
That's what I meant with "local effect":
For an algorithm, it doesn't matter wether it's implemented in a final or
non-final method, or if it produces warnings that don't happen with different
compiler flags; and even if you copy whole files from other people with a
different opinion on sane defaults, the worst thing to happen in the case of
final is an error when you try to override something that is not explicitly
marked as non-final.
Imho that's nothing compared to the hoops we had to jump through when ARC was
introduced — and the alternatives are either arguing forever or deciding to
annoy a part of the community.
Additionally, as soon as you change the default behavior, the same problems
arise…

Best regards,
Tino