James or Erica (or someone else), can you explain what makes these types
"placeholders"? I don't think of the other requirements in a protocol as
"placeholder properties" or "placeholder methods".

My explanation of these things is "When a particular type X conforms to a
protocol, you can ask about the types that X uses to implement the requirements
of the protocol". I guess we could call them "related types" instead of
"associated types", but that doesn't seem significantly different.

Jordan