> On Jul 9, 2016, at 11:04 AM, Tino Heth <2...@gmx.de> wrote:
>

>> Of course it can be done either way.  But there are significant ecosystem
>> robustness advantages to making sealed the default and comparatively few
>> downsides.  Most libraries are open source (so can be modified directly or
>> via PR if necessary)
> First:
> The claim about robustness sounds like a fact, despite being just an opinion
> (feel free to correct me if you have any evidence at all). We should stay
> honest with our predictions.
> Second:
> Do you really believe there will be positive impact on open-source libraries?
> My forecast is that closed by default will dramatically increase trivial pull
> request where developers ask for unsealing so that they can do as they like…

I think this is a good thing.  It will force a considered answer and a
discussion about whether or not subclassing should be supported by the library.

> and I've no idea why somebody could come up with the idea that forking is
> desirable.

Forking is desirable if your goals, needs, values, etc are substantially
different than the library author such that you do not agree on what the API
contract should look like.