> On Aug 10, 2016, at 4:48 PM, Slava Pestov via swift-evolution
> <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>
> As I understand it, a big weakness of Go's model is that it does not actually
> prevent data races. There's nothing preventing you from sharing pointers to
> mutable values between tasks, but I could be wrong about this.
Is that bad? Sharing pointers seems like a cheap way to share data, and as long
as you know what you’re doing, why should the language get in the way? Now, if
said code really does have performance advantages over the “safer” methods, and
it really is safe because for whatever reason the race condition can’t actually
happen, the language (or library) ought to have a way to express that without
having to write “unsafe” code. In the meantime, though, you’ve gotta ship
something that runs and meets performance requirements.

- Dave Sweeris