Sent from my iPad

On Feb 21, 2017, at 4:40 AM, Brent Royal-Gordon via swift-evolution
<swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:

>> On Feb 20, 2017, at 10:58 PM, David Hart via swift-evolution
>> <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>>
>> The scoped keyword is a good choice not only because the community has been
>> calling this feature “scoped access control” all along, but also because the
>> principle underlying all of Swift’s access levels is the idea of a scope.
>
> I think the second part of this sentence undermines the argument for `scoped`
> as a keyword: if *all* access levels are about scope, then *this* access
> level should not be called `scoped`, because the keyword should describe
> what's *different* about this access level.

I disagree Brent.  Maybe this statement will make more sense after I share my
thoughts on how I want scope to work with submodules.

> That's not to say "scoped" is a bad name, but I think it's good because the
> space inside curly braces can be thought of as a "scope". So I'd revise this
> sentence to something like:
>
>    The scoped keyword is a good choice not only because the community has
> been calling this feature “scoped access control” all along, but also because
> a variable's scope is traditionally restrained to the curly-brace-delimited
> block the variable is declared in, and that's the behavior `scoped`
> implements.

This is true for lexical scoping, but I'd also like to see scoped be
parameterized to take the name of a containing scope, such as a containing
submodule.  This would be a powerful tool that allows sibling submodules to
collaborate with each other.  It is similar to allowing extensions of different
types collaborate within a file, but at a larger level of granularity.