> On Mar 16, 2017, at 4:00 PM, Matthew Johnson via swift-evolution
> <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>

> Sent from my iPad

>>> Cool.  Any comment from the core team on whether this is a possibility?  If
>>> it is and nobody else wants to write a proposal I would be willing to do it.
>>
>> "Throwing Properties and Subscripts" proposal by Brent Royal-Gordon (12
>> months ago):
>>
>> <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/pull/218>
>
> Oh, great!  I had forgotten about this.  It would be awesome if we could
> revive this for Swift 4 especially so it can be considered as part of the
> interface of this API.  Even if Foundation doesn't adopt the, they would be a
> great complement for those of us who would prefer the lighter syntax and are
> willing to use our own wrapper.

I think the limiting factor here is not reviewing the proposal, but
implementing it. If someone comes up with a prototype implementation it would
increase the odds of the proposal being accepted.

A big part of this would just be untangling a pile of code in SILGen for
emitting function call arguments and applying them. Right now there’s too much
duplication between method calls and property access and subscripts. I need to
do some work in this area to implement default arguments for subscripts; I
think this can be accomplished through some refactoring and deleting of code. I
haven’t thought about throwing properties and subscripts but I imagine it would
be similar.

Slava