> On 3 Apr 2017, at 17:55, Tony Allevato wrote:
>
> I just checked with -O and without and was surprised to find that `let x =
> "abc" + "def" + "ghi"` wasn't collapsed into a single string literal
> "abcdefghi" in the generated assembly code. Maybe it's more difficult than it
> is in some other languages because of operator overloads and different kinds
> of text literals (strings, extended grapheme clusters, Unicode scalars)?

Is this a regression since Swift 2.0 added the optimization?

        * Concatenation of Swift string literals, including across multiple
lines, is
          now a guaranteed compile-time optimization, even at `-Onone`.
**(19125926)**

<https://github.com/apple/swift/blame/97db3931f2c5a21ea87ad6e71cdecbec325bff91/CHANGELOG.md#L1329-L1330>

-- Ben