> [...]
>> the ordering of values when <, ==, and > should have different behaviours.
>> Having a central operation to return complete ordering information should
>> provide a speedup for these operations.
>>
>> 3: The existing comparison operators don’t “generalize” well. There’s no
>> clean way to add a third or fourth argument to < to ask for non-default
>> semantics. An example where this would be desirable would be specifying the
>> locale or case-sensitivity when comparing Strings.
>>
>> 4: Comparable is over-engineered in the customization points it provides: to
>> our knowledge, there’s no good reason to ever override >=, >, or <=. Each
>> customization point bloats vtables and mandates additional dynamic dispatch.
>>
>> 5: When quickly writing a Comparable type, it is easier to implement a
>> single ternary statement than to separately implement == and <.
>>
>> Proposed solution
>>
>> ComparisonResult
>>
>> Foundation’s ComparisonResult type will be mapped into Swift as
>>
>> @objc public enum ComparisonResult : Int {
>>   case orderedAscending = -1
>>   case orderedSame = 0
>>   case orderedDescending = 1
>> }
>> Comparable
>>
>> Comparable will be changed to have a new ternary comparison method:
>> compare(_ other: Self) -> ComparisonResult. x.compare(y) specifies where to
>> place x relative to y. So if it yields .orderedAscending, then x comes
>> before y. This will be considered the new “main” dispatch point of
>> Comparable that implementors should provide.
>>
>> Most code will continue to use < or ==, as it will be optimal for their
>> purposes. However code that needs to make a three-way branch on comparison
>> can use the potentially more efficient compare. Note that compare is only
>> expected to be more efficient in this specific case. If a two-way branch is
>> all that’s being done, < will be more efficient in many cases (if only
>> because it’s easier for the optimizer).
>>
>> For backwards compatibility reasons, compare will have a default
>> implementation defined in terms of <, but to enable only using compare, <
>> and == will also have default implementations in terms of compare.
>>
>> The compiler will verify that either compare, or < and ==, are provided by
>> every type that claims to conform to Comparable. This will be done in some
>> unspecified way unavailable outside the standard library (it can be made
>> available to in the future, but that’s an unnecessary distraction for this
>> proposal).
>>

> Is it really necessary? Can't you have two separate protocols like this:
>
> protocol Comparable: Equatable {
>     static func < (lhs: Self, rhs: Self) -> Bool
> }
>
> protocol ThreeWayComparable: Equatable {
>     func compare(_ other: Self) -> ComparisonResult
> }
>
> extension Comparable where Self: ThreeWayComparable {
>     static func < (lhs: Self, rhs: Self) -> Bool {
>         return lhs.compare(rhs) == .orderedAscending

I actually really like the idea of mutually exclusive default requirement
implementations.  I have run across situations where I wish I could design a
protocol this way and was frustrated by the alternatives.  +1 to this approach
and to making art available outside the standard library in the future.  There
is no good reason for additional protocols here.