Hi,

JP> it would be valuable to engage people such as Jeff Conklin and Simon
JP> Buckingham Shum in a dialogue based on the suggestion made here.

a former student of me did such work.

At [1] you find his diploma thesis on discussion systems.
Unfortunately, the complete thesis is only available in German.

Abstract:
Argumentation is present both in everyday life and in the scientific world, for
instance in the form of problem solving, decision making, and exchange and
justification of opinions. However, the computer programs which are normally
used to discuss are not specialized in handling and managing arguments. This
thesis comprises an analysis phase and a design phase. Firstly we will describe
the scenarios where computers can help in supporting discussions. Many use
examples will show how broad is this topic, since a lot of usual tasks can be
also understood as discussion. It follows a description of the currently used
approaches for this purpose: some specialized programs and their theoretical
basis, like notations and methodologies, will be described, but also the basic
communication tools of the Internet will be considered, since in practice they
are the ones which are really used to hold discussions. The design phase of this
thesis aims at improving the way in which the current programs handle
argumentation: on the one hand we will propose some combinations of existing
technologies which are easy to put in practice; on the other hand some new and
grounded ideas will be presented, which can help to develop a single and basic
discussion system able to satisfy all the use cases.

[1] http://www.danielclemente.com/disk/index.en.html

Kind Regards,
Max
--