Jonathan wrote:

> Sorry but I disagree with Per.  ISPs have a duty to prevent email Spam
> which is a terrible curse for us all.  If they decide that blocking
> port 25 outbound will help then they should do it.

Just for the record - I don't have any problem with ISPs blocking ports
or otherwise offering a restricted service.  That is something for the
ISP to decide.
Where I have a problem is when such an ISP does not very clearly make
people aware of this - quite often such restrictions are hidden under
various obscure clauses in the AGBs.

> If you are a user, why can't you use the ISPs relay server? If you are
> a provider you ought to have your own mail server on a fixed IP
> address.

In the case I mentioned, we were on a business line with a range of
fixed IPs, but the blocking of port 25 was introduced over all, and the
ISP refused to make exceptions, so we cancelled the line immediately
(after finding a more flexible provider).

/Per

--
/Per Jessen, Zürich