Stanislav Sinyagin wrote:
> actually greylisting works pretty well, and the whitelist
> of exceptions is relatively small (not more than 300 entries as
> far as I remember). Also if you communicate the value
> of it to the customers, they tend to agree that having 90% of spam
> filtered before entering the system is worth waiting for half an hour
> for email from a new source.
>
> It's also a matter of resources: if you don't want or cannot enable
> greylisting, you have to invest more resources into a more sophisticated
> mail filtering software. Even if it's available for free, still developing
> and maintaining your solution might become too expensive.

agreed. maintenance for spamassassin or equal tools is much more time
intensive than setting up and controlling greylisting. though my
experience was that it's not necessary to use a long greylisting time, 5
minutes are usually more than enough to filter out 95% of bad mailers
and usually queue times are 5,10 or 30mins for the first retry so users
don't have to wait more then 5-30 mins at average.

the resource question isn't just about the software, using content
filter tools e.g. spamassassin consumes a lot of CPU and memory and if
you don't have proper hardware it might also result in delays or other
problems...