To be honest, that sounds exactly like what should have happened here.
But in that case, I should no longer be responsible to pay.  I'm sorry
but that really would be the fair way to handle this situation.  Fair to
me and fair to the list.  Your delete button could also send an email to
the list to inform everyone that a registration slot is open.

Jon