On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 08:33:48PM +0200, Adrian Senn wrote:
> Ok this time it was "only" a xxx website. And next time?

Sorry but I think you would not think like this if you are a customer of
an ISP that is under constant DDoS because of a single site.
Yes it sucks that you can buy botnet DDoS for little money which are so
big that they actually affect the ISP infrastructure and so all customers
at once. But it also sucks that the owner of the attacked sites are
unwilling to pay for the service which will protect them. Most of the time
those sites don't have the money to get the connectivity and protection
they need so should the unaffected customers pay for them?
Are you willing to pay more?

> Sorry if a provider goes the way that he shut down some of his customer,
> because of
> a DDOS Attack it will be voulnerable also for other cyberterror things.

The big question is, why was the customer DDoSed in the first place
99% of all customers are never DDoSed but suffer from the 1% that are and
those 1% are normaly not even willing to pay more for the excess bandwith,
the excess support time, or additional HW needed just for them.
And sorry, this has nothing to do with cyberterror, this is just the good
old russion buisiness network trying to blackmail or destroy some
competitor. "cyberterror things" I think you watched too many 24 episodes.

> And voulnerable means not on the technical way, but on the financial and
> political way.

Did you ever read the AGB of your provider? I think I never saw a clause
mentioning that the ISP will protect you from DDoS and and other attacks.
Normaly it is the opposide.

> So it would be interesting how Swisscom would solve this challenge in
> the future.

What about the other ISPs? This is a global issue.
Actually what about Microsoft and all those other big shot software
comapanies distributing crap and providing the hotbeds for the botnets?

--
:wq Claudio