Hi,
> That feature is in stock sendmail. It's called the greet_pause ruleset.
>
> FEATURE(`greet_pause', `5000')  dnl 5 seconds
>
> causes the MTA to wait 5 seconds before greeting. You could also use
> 30000 to make it be 30 seconds, though usually 5 is plenty.
The problem here is that sendmail forks() before it delays the
connection. This opens another
weakness, especially during a DDoS attack. With the five seconds delay,
you only catch the
pregreeting spammer connections, with a larger delay, the spammers often
give up sending
anything at all.

I use kernel greatpause support together with graylisting in a second
stage in my commercial
email appliance.

IMHO graylisting still works best to keep a lot of the connections away.
If it is implemented
in a clever way, you can bypass mail delays for real email traffic.

--
Martin