On 1/13/10 9:14 AM, Andre Oppermann wrote:
On 13.01.2010 08:17, Thomas Weible wrote:
If you got the ES.2 from NetApp I would assume that either a different
firmware
was used (NetApp certifies the firmware for the disks they are
selling) or that
they've already fixed it on maintenance. Though I certainly wouldn't
bet my data
on it and check with NetApp directly to get a reliable answer from
them. If you

-> no, we just do have the ES.2 disks and do make use of the
openfiler-project.

I see.

just got the empty shelf from them and plugged the disks yourself then
you may
be in big trouble already. In the MSFN thread there are many people
who lost
their ES.2 the same way the 7200.11 dies (the unbrick recovery
procedure is exactly
same for both).

-> lucky us, we still have some WD drives around the place and put
them into operation. Currently the RAID is syncing.

Btw, do you know if you can ship the ES.2 to Seagate through the
regular RMA procedure to get them fixed (I assume a firmware-upgrade
should help)? Is there anything I should reference to. I mean the
drives are still working at the moment... Thanks for your advices.

 From what I've read only bricked drives can be sent in to Seagate. But
you should
check with your supplier. The firmware update you can do yourself.
Though there are
still some reports where even updated disk become bricks again. And also
the serial
number checker on Seagates website doesn't list all affected disks.
There are again
many reports of bricked disks with serial numbers other than the
officially affected.
On top of that at least the 7200.11 has a high probability of developing
bad sectors.
Maybe the ES.2 has better materials. I personally do not trust the
7200.11 and ES.2
at all anymore. I'm replacing another 7200.11 in a backup server even
though Seagate
says this serial number is not affected. I do not trust it anymore. And
the price of
new disks is low enough to justify that. Just imagine the work involved
of restoring
all your data when the Seagate disks fail anyway. I'm not willing to
take that risk.
It cost me at least two days to research on the Intenret and obtain all
materials to
get into the firmware. And then another day to recover the data. Even I
have backups
they were about a week old and I didn't want to lose all the work I had
done in that
week.

Andre, all,

I was hit by this on drives I purchased in Jan 2009. Only one of the 4 drives I put into the NAS was affected by the bug (I watched the error counters climb at light speed). I swapped out the drives before they crashed and was able to RMA those that were affected (not all the drives were, even with the firmware/rev details). But RMA did take 6-8 weeks.

YMMV,
Thomas