hi Andy and all,

----- Original Message ----
> From: Andy Davidson <a...@nosignal.org>
> On 11 Oct 2010, at 19:34, Stanislav Sinyagin  <ssinya...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I'm  currently working on a new open-source project. Many of you
> > know the  imperfections of RANCID software, and this project is made to
> >  dramatically change this.
>

> Please do preserve the best features of rancid, the main is that
> configuration
>
>is backed up into a version control system, so inspecting former  config
>dating

>back months or years is possible. Using svn rather than cvs would  be nice so
>that we can run it alongside our codebase. A choice of version  control back
>ends would make a lot of people happy I think. :-) Also, make sure  there is
>an

>option to 'blank out' passwords in the stored configuration.

There's already a way to filter out lines of configuration,based on regular
expressions. I will also add a possibility to do search-and-replace, so that
passwords would be blanked out (starred out?).

In regards to SVN, I don't see any problems already: in your cron job, just do:
svn add *
svn commit -m `date`

I don't foresee much need to add some special SVN handling to Gerty, but that
may change :)

> Some way to import the former rancid cvs database might be a neat  feature,
> but
>
>we can probably survive without this by running rancid in parallel  with your
>software for six months or a year.

the main sponsor for this project does not have RANCID at all, so I'm afraid
it's

a low priority task. The main purpose is to run some telnet automation, and I
came

up with a proposal for a generic framework which would eventually replace
RANCID.

> It's really important that  a community grows around this software, so that
> we

>can both contribute and  download plugins for many vendors and config
>dialects.

>I'd be delighted to  volunteer mailing list hosting. I also would really like
>
>follow development  in an rss format so that I can tune our noc guys in and we
>can start to help  with testing and building the community when the features
>we

>really need are in  the software.

Re. mailing list - probably I'll set it up at Google Groups, as soon as there
is

enough material to share.

RSS feed is already available:
http://github.com/ssinyagin/gerty/commits/master

Actually the cool thing about Git and Github.com is the new way of
collaboration:
you can clone the main project at any time, add your changes, and invite the
project owner to merge the changes back into the mainline.

The only drawback, one has to forget his SVN experience and read a book:
http://progit.org/
Without a book, it's really uneasy to start understanding how Git works.

> Congratulations on getting this far, good luck, and ask  for help before you
>need it :-)

thanks, so far I'm good. It's a financed project, so I can dedicate my most
productive daytime to it.

cheers,
stan