Hi Philip

Am Mittwoch, 4. Mai 2011 schrieb Philip Iezzi:
> We're looking for a Swiss hosting provider who is actively using such
> a single kernel virtualization technology. What's your experience
> with OpenVZ?

OpenVZ is running stable, I can't remember any outage because of OpenVZ.

> How about resource separation of containers (VPS)?

Resource separation with the old (2.6.18, working up to the Lenny
Release) kernel is ok concerning memory, CPU-time (and number of CPU
Cores) as well as disk space. Disk IO is a different story (I think
fair limiting of disk IO is hard to implement). The 2.6.18 Kernel no
longer works with squeeze.
The stock Debian kernel is somehow of a step back, at the moment there
is no absolute (Grant only 1 core to a virtual machine) limiting of
CPUs or CPU time. Stability is still good, I haven't seen any crash
because of OpenVZ.

> Have  you got any experience running complete containers off a
> NFS-mounted NAS/SAN?

There were some bugs with NFS (leading to kernel oops) in the Debian
kernel. Please check the bug reports for more details, this may have
been fixed with the point release. I have no experience with NAS/SAN.

> How about performance in a web hosting environment with
> resource peaks on various servers?

We don't do dynamic reallocation of virtual servers based on load or
resource peaks, if this was your question. Without a fast Disk
subsystem, disk IO will most likely be the limiting factor, unless your
software needs a lot of CPU. I can't tell how well the dynamic
provisioning of various resources works, because we don't use that (We
dont overbook our hardware, the customer always gets what he pays for).

Greetings,
Peter