>   3    58 ms    58 ms    43 ms
> 217-168-58-101.static.cablecom.ch[217.168.58.101]
>   4   139 ms   140 ms   145 ms  84.116.211.22
> I'd say here's where the problem begins and it still UPC network I think.

sorry - no - as the handover takes part in washington you have twice
the atlantic in between... it´s a problem of peering/transiting in usa and not
upc internal problem in ch.

it is the responsibility of the first network handing over in europe on the
way "up" and it is the responsibility of the second network handing
over also in europe on the way "down". (zurich, amsterdam or london
would be suited in this case)

as this is not the the case here you should tell them to fix that, or choose
another provider who does good ip housekeeping.

bernd