On 2013-02-05 19:31 , Andreas Fink wrote:
> side note: I was testing LTE in Basel. Speed is lower than 3G (like
> 3-5M/sec) I wondered why as my friends in Finland get like 40M/s

LTE is not deployed yet for real in Switzerland...

Note also that for instance

> What spring to my mind however is that the speed test tools do in
> fact measure speed with local providers around the corner. And as far
> as I know, swisscom doesn't peer on SwissIX with them so it might
> very likley be a similar ping-pong through somewhere else in europe
> or USA which is potentially ruining the speed. Of course it could
> simply be not enough capacity inside the mobile network.

Did you try a traceroute?

>From my experience Swisscom is doing great peering with most
destinations that I use, be those local or remote (eg the US).
(the only thing one could say is that some goes over Geneva, but that is
apparently where their DSL handoff happens)

> My point is: PEERING PAYS OFF. No matter how "evli" your competitor
> might look like, both save money and gain speed. Even ISP's in other
> parts of the world have started to realize that its stupid to send
> off traffic across continents just because they don't like the
> competitor.

You are missing the important point about peering:
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUYdi43qXHc

Oh and of course if you 'cut off' your competitor that might just be a
business case for a customer to go to you or them, next to them not
being tier-1 enough....

Also, do calculate into the equation the cost of the interfaces needed
to have traffic transfer at one or the other location.

In the end though it is a penis game...

Greets,
 Jeroen