On 2016-08-28 14:11, Julien Sansonnens wrote:
> Just the kind of condescending and stupidly aggressive message that
> makes the charm of this type of list :)

Just a simple reality check, which you should have known about the
moment you where able to fill in the paperwork to get an ASN and a prefix.

Note that that latter paperwork used to contain a guarantee for two
upstreams. The reason for that was so that people realized they also
needed that...

> Probably in 1984, with the guys of 1984, I would not have received
> this kind of "response".

In 1984 they would have asked you how you would be paying for the
physical cable which brought you to them.... would have been a rather
expensive deal to get that telephone link up 24/7....

Moving bits has always have a cost, and those costs have gone down a
lot, but still exist. The ones that give 'free transit' do that so that
they can balance their input/output ratio better which allows them to
negotiate better deals and of course to claim they are global Tier-1s
while they just have a l3-switch in a rack somewhere... great for
playing around, but nothing else.

You might want to ask OVH in France if they are able to provide you with
native IPv6, as they can. They might also be able to give you a BGP
session, but at that point, like the rest of their service they will
nicely ask you to pay for that service.

BGP over tunnels is a bad thing, as the tunnel will break and then that
flap in BGP gets progressed all around the world.... not even speaking
about MTU issues and fragmentation that you will run into.

Please keep the Internet a 1500 clean place, do your part and get Native
IPv6.

Greets,
 Jeroen