On 2019-10-30 22:09, Gregor Riepl wrote:
Gregor, if I understand you correctly, you are implicitly saying "please
put your stuff on one of the big sites like github/gitlab/bitbucket".

I personally think that this is the wrong direction to move, as it
makes the Internet more dependent on a few entities. That makes it less
robust, as we have seen in the censorship case at github related to nationality.

IMHO, this does not apply to Git repositories.

Git repo is only part of that solution.

The primary reason for difficulty switching to another 'git host' (gitlab, github, https://git.sr.ht/, or self hosted) is issue tracking...

As those issues are not stored/tracked in the .git repo you can clone, and thus 'taking out' or 'moving' that data is near impossible.

And that.... is why projects on Github won't leave github easily.

Yes, some of the platforms have 'import' scripts to tackle this, but it is not a universal given that one can export/import these issues.

And issues can contain a lot of data about a project (discussion about a bug, why it was solved, why not etc).

Of course, this could partially be solved with better commit messages, but who has time for that eh ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen
(who mirrors his projects on github, but has a private original of the repo self hosted; issue tracking thus is public and private...).