Hi Mark,

I have been using SWORDv2 with DSpace. SWORD is just a transfer protocol, it
doesn't really matter what type of package you send with it, as long as the
receiving SWORD server understands how to handle it.

I used DSpace METS SIP, simple zip files, and binary files because the DSpace
SWORDv2 server implementation supported those packages. Then, we wanted to try
BagIt, so I wrote a so called "ingester" to let the SWORDv2 DSpace server
handle BagIt packages. And since I was at it, I also made one for DataBankBagIt
packages, which are not in the SWORD documentation (and also have a different
namespace, http://dataflow.ox.ac.uk/package/DataBankBagIt). You can define your
own package format if you want to.

You can read about our work on SWORD on the blog of our project, Sustainable
Management of Digital Music Research Data:

http://rdm.c4dm.eecs.qmul.ac.uk/sword-tools

http://rdm.c4dm.eecs.qmul.ac.uk/datastage-and-dspace

Good luck!
Best regards
Marco

Marco Fabiani
Postdoctoral Research Assistant
Centre for Digital Music
School of Electronic Engineering and Computer Science
Queen Mary, University of London
Mile End Road, London E1 4NS, UK