Hi Mark,

What you are after is the Service Document. The Sword spec describes a
Service Document that the server should provide when requested, to
advertise amongst other things, what package formats it supports. So the
typical conversation would go...

Client - "Please send me your Service Document"
Server - "Here it is"
Client - "Thanks. Now I know what you support I'm going to send you a
package you will be happy with"
Server - "Got it!"

Sorry, got to rush but I'll try and find some links to examples later.

Cheers, Robin.

On 24/05/12 15:39, Mark Jordan wrote:
> Marco,
>
> Thanks for the pointer to your blog, I'll take a look. I realize that SWORD
> is just a transfer protocol, and that the packaging formats are independent
> of the protocol (in the same way that metadata formats are independent of
> OAI-PMH), but I am trying to determine the degree to which the packing
> formats are standardized. Specifically, I'm struggling to understand how a
> client and a server can exchange content effectively in the packaging format
> Foo (which they both agree via a protocol handshake is the format they are
> exchanging) if they don't have a shared understanding of the internal
> structure of the Foo format, or, more accurately, if the services behind the
> client and the server don't understand the internal structure of Foo.
>
> So, I'm really asking about what happens before the SWORD client sends the
> package off to the server, and what happens after the SWORD server hands the
> transferred package off to the repository. If a publisher or other service
> provider asks "Does your repository support SWORD?" I'd like to be able to
> tell them, "Yes, in these formats that we all understand", instead of having
> to explain to the publisher how I want the content packaged up, or take the
> content in whatever format the publisher provides and figure out how to get
> it into the target repository.
>
> Mark

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.