CROSS is the format developed by Epiphany for Bible Explorer 3.0+. Epiphany & WORDsearch (which was based on STEP) merged and, in the process, magically decided they no longer owed me money for work I did on a book for the former (yeah, I'm a little bitter). WORDsearch dropped STEP and went with Bible Explorer's codebase.

CROSS is just "compiled" (X)HTML. It's Unicode "compliant", at least to the extent that it can render Unicode. (They might still use some non-Unicode fonts, I don't remember; and it's been a while since I looked at their software. I know nothing about how well they handle non-Latin input/search.) It's not a bad system for rendering, per se, but it's also about as un-revolutionary as possible. Their renderer is MSIE, though they might do a little XML-magic to handle special tags within the engine. Nothing to see here, folks.

Proprietary? yes... well... except for the HTML part, but modules are binary and (I would hope) encrypted anyway

OSIS 'competitor'? hahahah. :) Aside from the not "Open" part :), CROSS (i.e HTML) is basically a presentation format. An OSIS to CROSS XSLT might be a smart thing for them to write at some point, but the purposes of OSIS and CROSS are orthogonal.

--Chris

Lynn Allan wrote:
Just curious about C.R.O.S.S.

I got info about upgrading an older Epiphany Bible Explorer 2.0 with
WORDSearch 7. Their ad mentioned CROSS as being XML and unicode
compliant. Seems like it might be a replacement for the Step format.
Proprietary? OSIS 'competitor'?

C)hristian R)eference O)pen S)oftware S)tandard

This was about all I could find:
http://www.kirkbride.com/CROSS.html