I found the problem with anonymous ftp with user name ftp being randomly disabled. It is because Plesk thinks it is smarter than me, and undoes my configuration changes whenever it regenerates configuration files from its database, but it doesn't give me a way to specify what I want to do. Therefore, I set up a crontab task to fight back. Crude, I know, but effective. Sorry about the outage.

Note that access to the repository never went down with user name "anonymous" for anonymous FTP or via HTTP. This is small comfort, I know, when the Sword engine almost always uses "ftp".

Regarding stability: right now, I keep regenerating the whole repository every time I tweak something, like the way .zip files are made and trying to shorten some module names. Regeneration is in progress, right now. As each module is regenerated, its version number increments. I'll slow that down when the process is more stable.