> What about safari, oracle, and all those other browsers I have
> painstakingly made the base css files work for?

Maybe these changes could be moved into a theme or integrated into the
default theme? I think there are other ways to handle this feature.
Perhaps alternative stylesheets that are selected by the user. My point
is, this is a feature that should be implemented in the browser not the
server-side software.

For Safari you could load the PithHelmet[1] extension.

For Oracle? Oracle maintains a web browser? WHY!?! Perhaps you could ask
them to add a custom CSS feature. There will always be limitations to
using proprietary software, and if you don't want to be impacted by those
limitations then don't use it.

> There are several cases where I could need
> this feature, but be using some other browser, or not be on my computer,

I agree, if you were on another browser or computer you'd have to migrate
your customizations to that browser or computer.

> Also, this is
> pretty easy to use, and obvious to the greater majority (given the
> majority is still IE despite bitching to the otherwise)

How many wiki users actually do this? I imagine you are in the minority.
This feature might be of great benefit to a few power users (which are
likely to be using a browser that supports custom css anyways) but for the
average wiki user that doesn't even know what CSS is, this feature will
never be used. Perhaps Philip and other wiki admins could give us real
stats on usage.

> There seems to be little cost in actually including the
> feature anyway, I am wondering how this issue began.

I agree, if it doesn't impact some greater design decision I'd say keep it
in.

Scott
---------
[1] http://culater.net/software/PithHelmet/PithHelmet.php