Lars Janssen wrote:

    jQuery chose the first option (A) some time ago and they don't
    seem to
    regret it. Drupal also uses a forum and no mailing-list as far as I
    know. So, that works.

I run a phpBB forum for music fans in the UK. I found the software needed a lot of customisation before I was happy with it, and at the same time I didn't find the code base very easy to work with (with apologies to the phpBB developers as it's a matter of taste, but I prefer code to be in small functions rather than large functions or in the global scope!)

The only technical forum I've regularly used based on phpBB was the Gentoo forums, which I felt worked very well. The trick with any forum is not to make more sub-forums than you definitely need, or you'll end up with lots of quiet forums and nobody knows what belongs where.
We agree the code of phpBB 3.0.x isn't the best code ever and due to this it is something that has improved dramatically in 3.1 (which is currently nearing alpha).

Quite a few technical forums use phpBB - https://www.phpbb.com/showcase/tag/open-source/ and https://www.phpbb.com/showcase/tag/technology/

At phpBB, we do, as you'd expect, also use phpBB for development forums* and it works well. People choose which discussions they follow and they can choose to subscribe to certain topics/forums by email.It's a lot easier to watch the topics you want and ignore those you don't care about than on a mailing list. Also the reading through a topic is easier on a forum than through an inbox or on Google groups web UI.

* - https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/

--
Thanks,
Michael C

If you want to report a vulnerability issue on Symfony, please read the
procedure on http://symfony.com/security

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/symfony-devs?hl=en
--- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Symfony developers" group.
to symfony-devs+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.