I use Propel 1.3 rev701 standalone in an none symfony project and i
like it so much better than 1.2.
However, the nested set support has still some bugs, but the rest
works very fine.
I decided against doctrine because of the lack of stability.

I didn't tested Propel 1.3 with symfony, but i will  try out
sfPropel13Plugin in near future.

I am very curious about this change.

- Frank