Wait, I have experience with that process... compiling your own PHP on
DH isn't as bad as it seems... I had to do it, but it was worth it, of
course my DH setup is on a private server, which... sometimes sucks
becaus we by default get an old php 5.1.x series instead of 5.2.x.

Let me know if you have any troubles if you do compile it yourself.

Of course, I have had much better luck elsewhere.