No I did not really solve that.
I blamed select boxes as they are graphically rendered by the WIndows
system graphic API on Internet Explorer 6, so they appear on top of
everything.
This is really disturbing, as if you use a select box, then you make a
div appear with a z-index greater than the one you have the select box
on, the select box will "traverse" the top div.
There is a solution to that, involving iframes and javascript, but
that's dirty, client-side ressource spending, and not working if you
place select boxes dynamically.

So I just use a input text with autocompletion and complex validation
background procedures.