Hi,
i also have a slideset that I can quote everytime questions are asked in
that direction.
http://www.slideshare.net/fabianlange/full-stack-web-application-performance-tuning-presentation

As Lee said, the options are rich. you can tweak everywhere, but you should
find out where your issues come from.
Okay initially you might check all layers for sensible settings and check if
there are any major settings wrong
(e.g. missing APC)

Fabian