On 31 Jan 2009, at 20:37, John L. Singleton wrote:

> Performance isn't the only reason to consider clustering. The other
> reason is availability. If you have an application that must
> absolutely be available 24/7 then you must cluster. IMHO there isn't
> really a way around this if availability is a requirement. The
> thinking is that it's highly possible that *one* machine can
> experience some fatal hardware failure but much less likely that *all*
> of your machines will... at least at the same time.

Whilst I agree with that, clustering for availability has to be done
in a certain way.

No point adding extra webservers if you still have a single database
server. The object of the exercise is to remove ALL single points of
failure - which also means redundant internet connections (to
different carriers), multiple power supplies (on different power
circuits), failover switches, multiple LAN cards etc. *ANY* SPOF is
the weak link in the chain, and *ALL* are as valid as each other, so
they all need to be eliminated.

Availability is the most expensive reason to cluster, and again - this
is an entire subject in itself.

> *If you want to go with a software load balancer, try HAProxy:
> http://haproxy.1wt.eu/
>  --- Few hosts offer load balancing, so if you host anywhere you'll
> have to build your own cluster.

If you're clustering for availability ALWAYS build your own cluster.
That way you know for sure it meets your spec, and you know it's going
to do what you want it to. There are 2 useful books on this kind of
topic :

Enterprise Data Center Design and Methodology (Sun)
Build the Best Data Center Facility for Your Business (Cisco)

Last year (or it may be the year before now...) there were several
cases of hosting centres loosing power, and the backup generators
failing because they were never tested.

Test the scenarios - don't assume your plans will work.