I haven't used filters yet, but askeet's day 18 [1] and the Book's
chapter 6 [2] deal with filters, and the latter one seems to be good
enough for a kickstart.

[1] http://www.symfony-project.org/askeet/1_0/en/18#chapter_18_create-a-filter
[2]
http://www.symfony-project.org/book/1_2/06-Inside-the-Controller-Layer#chapter_06_filters