I think you answered your own question - if the app doesn't start
properly, a plugin to the app (which didn't start) isn't ever going to
get instantiated to be able to tell you that ;)

If Symfony even fails to start, I believe you should see your default
500 error page, as configured in your webserver. If you don't, then
you've got some server configuration issues that you need to resolve.
In which case, you should also have an error in your webservers error
log too - it won't get gobbled by Symfony if Symfony didn't even start.