On 19 Sep 2009, at 10:45, Alexandru-Emil Lupu wrote:

> Well the symfony plugins part is the maintainer / creator job to
> keep it updated. But as there is no motivational thing involved
> (money or need to use it in sf 1.2 or something else that don't
> cross my mind atm ), i do not think the maintainer will do it.
> Instead, you might create an account on SF website, and become
> contributor to desired plugin, and create a sf1.2 compatible version.

That's a nice idea, but it requires that the original plugin owner
allows the contributor to join the project. Some of them just won't
allow it through fear that they'll make additional changes to the
plugin, taking it in a direction that they're not comfortable with.
For instance, people have asked to join sfErrorHandlerPlugin to add
functionality to email errors - nice idea, but I don't want to add
something which itself is likely to be the cause of many errors.

However, I do see that this whole maintaining a plugin for different
Symfony versions is a bit of a problem - with many plugins left
behind, or simply abandoned.

So, I propose a solution - move the code hosting of Symfony plugins to
GitHub.

Whilst I'm no GitHub expert, I've seen this work with other projects
(notably ExpressionEngine add-ons). Users are free to create forks of
each others code and maintain/alter those as they see fit. User can
easily find forks from the original project, so they can browse the
network graph visualiser
(http://github.com/blog/39-say-hello-to-the-network-graph-visualizer
) for the fork they are interested in, and download that.

What say all? would that be a fair solution that would keep everybody
happy?