Hi Alecs and everyone,

Thanks for your responses.

I'm deploying this to a Linux box running Apache.  It's a reseller
account, so I don't think I can create virtual servers.

Alecs - the solution you wrote is the one I said was not possible in
my original message.  That's because in my production account, my
public_html looks like this:

+public_html
   + subdomain1
   + addondomain1
   + addondomain2

As such, I can't create public_html as a symbolic link to {symfony}/
web.

I did find a solution to this though, which was to rearrange my
reseller account so one of my addon domains became my primary domain.
That way, I can just create my production website's domain as a
symbolic link to the symfony web directory.

What I was wondering though is if anyone has experience with using
symfony where the web directory is not at the top level of the
document root, eg: a situation like this:

+public_html
  + app1
  + app2 -> {symfony}/web

ie: maybe my domain: www.example.com has multiple applications, each
in subdirectories of public_html.  In this case the symlink to the
symfony app is from app2.  When I setup this structure, I found that
everything broke, because the document root in my symfony app is still
"/" which points to public_html, rather than public_html/app2.  I was
able to get parts of the app to work, but all my image links were
broken and all the documentation I found on symfony only shows you how
to setup the .htaccess file when symfony is in the document root.

I'm a little surprised that I've seen no examples like this, because
it would be very useful where a symfony app is part of a portal of
various content belonging to a site.

Steve