The form book is not fully written, and IMHO, it will not be completed
(at least not soon).

My suggestion is to look into the default formatters and see how they
work. If i remember well, they just define the html using object
protected properties, so you can extend the default formatter and
simply override the default values.

BTW in my experience, formatters have almost always been too limited
(except the default table) for a real usage. Almost everytime I have
to define the form structure in a template and simply echoing $form
['field']->render(), renderLabel() ecc, so I usually end up writing a
partial for each form and using it everywhere I need it.