So the other part would be to overload the hasCredentials method and add in
the top of it :

if (!$this->isActive())
{
  return false;
}

Other solution : create a filter : if the user account is inactive, redirect
him

class myFilter extends sfFilter
{
  public function execute($filterChain)
  {
    $context = $this->getContext();
    // do your stuff with $context->getResponse() and $context->getRequest()
and $context->getUser()
  }
}

and register it in the filters.yml