My english is not good enough but i'll try to tell about some usefull
concepts in symfony (i'm symfony developer for the last almost 3
years).

Module in application is the thing that do some determinate work in
application (set of actions). For example, security module - do login
and logout stuff. Application - set of modules that provide
determinate context. IMHO in one context cannot be more than one
different ways to decide how to authorize users. So, the question that
must worry you is not "how to use different login modules" but "why do
you want to use different login modules"