I also upgrade to 1.4 and when I use the sfGuardUser backend, it
throws an error when I try to edit a user:

Fatal error: Call to a member function setLabel() on a non-object in
plugins/sfDoctrineGuardPlugin/lib/form/doctrine/base/
BasesfGuardUserAdminForm.class.php on line 26

I have no idea how to solve this. Maybe the functions are deprecated
for the forms are deprecated in symfony 1.4