Yes, I used to use simple text editors with good hightlighting. No
more now.

With OOP programming, it's not enough. I now use Java Based 'Eclipse'
There's a PHP plugin for it.

It does:
  auto PHP docs on classes, functions, methods, vars
  class hierarchy exploration
  dynamic text highlighting so that you can see all occurrences of
    text that you are interested in in the whole document
  It continuously interprets the PHP, showing where your errors are.
  It marks where the errors are on the vertical scroll bar and you can
    click on the mark and go straight to the error.
  It shows ALL the inherited vars and methods in your class and IF
they are
    inherited and from where.
  If a class or method is right clicked on, one of the choices is to
go to that
    place in the file in which is is declared, (that doesn't always
work perfectly
    for functions in the $this class.)
  It has a 'subclipse' plugin that makes using SVN MUCH easier.
  Has a decent help system.
  Does alot more that I don't know about :-)

It took a lot of courage and some climbing spurs to tackle the
learning curve. But
it was worth it. I don't plan on changing back to regular editors for
code ever again.

If my projects end up making money, Eclipse is one of the open source
projects that
I'm going to give money to.