Can you explain this in detail? Why would modification of existing tables
require migrations?
Theoretically, I would just use build-schema, to imitate the changes that I
make to the existing db tables. Follow it up build-model, to regenerate the
model files. If that is a problem, I could delete existing lib (BasTable
BaseTablePeer etc. etc) , and simply regenerate again.

I am not catching the point here, why would I need migrations?

security at symfony-project.com