Do you really need all the values together? Can't you just create a
few addXXXColumnQuery methods and create a query in parts?

Example of my filter where I added the choice:

class CommentFormFilter extends BaseCommentFormFilter
{
  public function configure()
  {
    $this->widgetSchema['cmtext'] = new
sfWidgetFormFilterInput(array('template' => '%input% %empty_checkbox%
%empty_label%'));

        $this->widgetSchema['cmpublish'] = new sfWidgetFormChoice(array(
                'choices' => CommentPublish::getArray(),
                'expanded' => true,
                'multiple' => true
        ));

        $this->validatorSchema['cmpublish'] = new sfValidatorChoice(array(
                'required' => false,
                'choices' => array_keys(CommentPublish::getArray()),
                'multiple' => true
        ));
  }

        public function addCmpublishColumnQuery($query, $field, $value)
        {
                $fieldName = $this->getFieldName($field);

                if (!empty($value))
                {
                        $query->andWhereIn(sprintf('%s.%s',
$query->getRootAlias(),