Hey Oleg,

the tag to product argument makes no sense to me... What are you
attaching tags to if not the product's ID's?
In your version, you want to edit product ids.. so what happens to the
references in the product_to_tags table? You have to update them
accordingly?

If you just went with autoincrement ids internally, you'd never have
to worry about that relationship, in fact, all the retrieval would be
nicely abstracted by your ORM (ProductQuery::create() ->
filterByTag("blah"); ..no need to understand simple selects better.)

The space vs. column count argument sounds like an "early
optimization" fallacy to me - have you run into any memory issues so
far?

Regarding the extra column, my whole argument is not about how things
"can" be done - of course you can do things your way - but how things
will be more maintainable in the future. Using your internal ID all
over the place is a rookie mistake, and you'll learn that as soon as
you integrate with more than one outside system. Or, you'll never have
to do that, and so you won't need to learn it - and that may work for
your current level, but it's gonna limit you in the long run.

That all being said, if you're still trying to look into editing ID's,
this discussion here would be relevant:
http://groups.google.com/group/symfony-devs/browse_thread/thread/5dc04332a015411b

And looking at the newest propel admin generator, I think editing IDs
the way you proposed at the beginning should work.

Daniel

security at symfony-project.com