You could create a custom layout for mobile sites. Then, in the action:

$this->setLayout( 'myMobileLayout' );

You could create a custom "base" action that extends from sfActions, where
you check for the "sf_format" value for the request in the "preExecute"
method. Then, based on that value, set the layout you need. Finally, extend
every action from this "base" action. For example:

*class myBaseAction extends sfActions
{
    public function preExecute()
    {
        if ( $this->getRequest()->getParameter( 'sf_format' ) == 'mobile' )
        {
            $this->setLayout( 'myMobileLayout' );
        }
    }