The main goal is to avoid code duplication,
for your mobile version, if the changes are only different templates, you
can extend sfView to return a myView::MOBILE_SUCCESS and create your
indexMobileSuccess.php views right to your indexSuccess.php.

If you have change to make in your actions, then a new app is a good way to
do,
but again, avoid code duplication.

For the shared datas like i18n, auth modules, etc a private plugin IS
actualy the right way to go.

Cheers.
Damien.

security at symfony-project.com